7.2.12

Roatan, Isla de la Bahia, Honduras

From Copan, I took a bus to La Ceiba where I stay one night to take the early boat to Roatan. La Ceiba is nothing particular, the beach isn't really beautiful so I haven't taken any pictures.

After one and a half hour on a nice ferry I arrived in Roatan, the largest island of the Bay islands. My hostel was in Sandy Bay which is pretty local, though half the Island is probably North American (Canadian and American) owned.

The beach in Sandy Bay is nothing spectacular, no white sand, quite dirty and there is some grass for the first 50 meters. But the show begins about 50  meters off the piers (so you have to swim about 50 meters) and then you can see the first part of the reef and if you swim a further 50 meters you are at the edge of the reef. So unfortunately I haven't done a lot of pictures because the show was underwater and I don't have a waterproof camera.

I can however tell you that it was really awesome but really really awesome. Lots and lots of fishes, corals, algae. And the best of it, you are alone, yes because all the tourists (and there are a lot of them, way too many of them) are going to West Bay.

West Bay was my Sunday afternoon excursion. I was expecting a nice quite wild beach but it was all the contrary, it was crowdy, surrounded by bars, hotel, restaurant and people trying to sell you some excursion. So beautiful beach and water but way too many people on the afternoon.

Overall it was a nice experience thanks to the nice reef that was close to where I was staying.











No comments:

Post a Comment